Just an ordinary girl...living in an extraordinary world!

Monday, September 15, 2008

Running Question

I have a question for all you runners out there! HOW DO YOU GET RID OF SHIN SPLINTS? I have been doing really good at running lately (training for the 1/2 marathon) My calves KILLED me for about 2 weeks but i think im over that! Now its my shins--owie! I'm learning to push through the pain, but wondered if there was a trick to it!? I never understood running until i started to do it consistently and now holy cow it gets addicting... There is something about blasting Led Zepplin and just taking off!!

8 comments:

MEG said...

Good for you Suzie! I wish I knew the answer to your question, but I've never had shin splints - just heard they really suck. I understand what you mean about running being addicting...just can't get myself to that point :)

Anonymous said...

Good job on the running. I am proud of you. I having been trying to do the wii fit a bunch. You should come over sometime.

Michelle said...

Yikes, I don't know. I just pushed through the pain when I had them and it eventually went away. Led Zepplin...and running? LOL. That's awesome! My ideal running music is like Ludacris or something. :) You are way better than me!xoxo

Ry and Kris Jones said...

I'm not sure how to get rid of them all the way, but just stretch them REALLY good. Also, have someone press their thumb UP your shin and on the sides really hard. It will hurt a lot, but it will alieviate some the pain afterward, it's worth it. I do know how to prevent them, especially if you're running a lot. Make sure you stretch really well before. A really good technique is to sit down and write the alphabet in the air with your foot. It works the muscles well and warms them up so they don't get so tense. I hope that helps. ~kristy~

Em said...

Suzie - That's awesome. Isn't running fun? Once your done at least? I agree with the comment above about stretching. That is the best way to get rid of aches and pains. Stretch both before and after your runs. Also, make sure your shoes are not worn down. Sometimes I get aches and pains with old shoes. Good Luck!

Denice said...

Hmm...shin splints...I think I get those when I've been laying on the couch and watching TV for too long. If I happen to see one of the runners go past my house when I'm vegged on the porch reading a book, I will ask them for you! :)

Sarah said...

Hey Suz! I'm so proud of you! I love the feeling of accomplishment after you are done running. I haven't ran in forever. I had shin splints in cross country and I was told to run on the grass as often as I could. It supposably is better for your shins if you do that. It is harder, cause the grass soaks up your energy, whereas concrete bounces it back to ya, but you could try it. I also know that tiger balm works like a champ! You could see if they have it at the drug store..if not, then I'm sure Bengay would work too. GOOD JOB! Love ya and I hope it gets better!

Lisa and DJ said...

Hey Suzie! Just wanted to tell you that I saw you on KSL. Dj always wants me to be the fan on the street. Looks like you guys had fun!