Just an ordinary girl...living in an extraordinary world!

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Guest Post Christie

Hello friends of Suzie!  I’ve known Suzie for a few years now, and I love her!  I love that she MAKES time for the important people in her life—that has always been a great example to me. 
Today I thought I’d talk about Halloween a little bit.  We love Halloween around my house.  And since I have a craft blog, I thought I’d share some of my past projects or just some home décor with you today.
Halloween Decorations:
My favorite Halloween decoration are these bats I saw a pic of them a couple years ago in the Country Living Magazine and LOVED. HERE is the link for the bat template. I didn't have any stiffened felt, so I looked online and found out you can do it yourself. HERE is how you can stiffen felt.
DSCF2329
The skull head I got at Honk's dollar store. II had the spider web bowl and fabric from last year.
We all know Martha Stewart has a TON of cute ideas. HERE is what gave me this next idea, although the one on the website it awesome. The ghosts tutorial, I found HERE. Skeletons were from Wally World, and the tutorial for the black orb balls I found HERE. I didn't use glossy paint like her, and Joanne's didn't have balls without holes, so hers are way cooler, but maybe next year I'll do them over the right way. She told me she found the balls at Hobby Lobby.
This plate was on sale at Homebodies. It was the most expensive thing I've ever bought for Halloween. It was $7.00.
I already had the candle, and I had Dillon cut me a block of wood, which I spray-painted black. I typed "orange damask" into google in images, found what I wanted, copy and pasted, and worked with the fonts on BOO until I liked it. Printed, and modge podged it on. I actually don’t have this spider anymore because it takes up a lot of space, but I made it for my kids and they loved it.  Thankfully not enough to have noticed it’s missing this year from our décor!
DSCF2661
Fun with the Kids:
Some fun with the kids we like to do are freezer paper shirts (google it if you don’t know how—so easy and fun for the kids to do!)
DSCF2393
Easy oreo spider cookies.
DSCF2533
You know those super cheap wooden things at Joann?  The kids love painting these things!
DSCF2631
My kids also really like their candy corn hats.  A seriously easy sewing project!  It’s not my tutorial, it’s from HERE and I just adapted the colors to look like candy corn. 
DSCF2355
Halloween Night Dinner:
It’s our tradition to have a spooky dinner for Halloween night, even though the kids are so excited to get out!  But I look forward to making a disgusting looking meal once a year!  Great excuse :). 
DSCF3046DSCF3047DSCF3048DSCF3049DSCF3050DSCF3051
And that’s how we celebrate Halloween around here!  What do you all like to do for Halloween?
Hope you’re having a great time in Hawaii, Suzie!!!  Thanks for having me.

No comments: