Just an ordinary girl...living in an extraordinary world!

Friday, August 13, 2010

Dating 101

I find it appropriate to write this blog on
Friday the thirteenth...

Do we really know what dating is???
Boy meets girl, girl meets boy.
And it's a done deal right?

Well that would be ideal but for us older 20's early 30's it doesn't seem so...
I went to a party Sunday night. You know those YSA party's we are encouraged to attend ALLTHE TIME! Well, as I'm walking around and mingling I start up a conversation with this guy.
He tells me he is writing a book on "Celestial Dating". I really just wanted to laugh out loud but realized he was being serious. So he continued and asked the most bizarre questions...
like ...
is there a difference between will you go out with me?
or
would you like to do something tonight?
I answered him honestly...and was dying to walk away.
He told me he was turning 30 this year and that when this book is published he is going to yell it from the mountain tops and preach it to everyone.
All I could think was...if you know so much about this ...why are you still single.

The thing is do any of us know why we are single? Or do we necessarily know how to date?
How do two people meet, fall and love and want to spend eternity together? It's beside me.

I usually find the guy that wants to have fun but definitely doesn't want to commit. I have learned i need to put my heart on my sleeve more...

The movie he's just not that into you is the story of my life. I'm ALWAYS the cool friend and never the girl they want to date ...
here is a line that i just love from it.

"Girls are taught a lot of stuff growing up. If a guy punches you he likes you. Never try to trim your own bangs and someday you will meet a wonderful guy and get your very own happy ending. Every movie we see, every story we're told implores us to wait for it, the third act twist, the unexpected declaration of love, the exception to the rule. But sometimes we're so focused on finding our happy ending we don't learn how to read the signs. How to tell the ones who want us from the ones who don't, the ones who will stay and the ones who will leave. And maybe this happy ending doesn't include a wonderful guy, maybe... it's you, on your own, picking up the pieces and starting over, freeing yourself up for something better in the future. Maybe the happy ending is... just... moving on. Or maybe the happy ending is this, knowing that after all the un returned phone calls and broken-hearts, through all the blunders and misread signals, through all the pain and embarrassment you never EVER gave up hope"


6 comments:

rachel said...

I used to think that dating was black and white, no gray area. Then I started dating and i realized that it is mostly gray area with little black and white. Why the heck to you think I am so tickled to be getting the heck out of Utah? My last few disasters have been local boys who are my age or a bit older and are doing NOTHING with their lives. Nothing. It's painful because I think the girls around here rock and are doing amazing things with their lives but who are we supposed to date? Whenever people tell me "you're too intimidating" I realize that I'm happy about that because I would never dumb myself down, make less money, or be less interesting so that I could settle for a guy who is not living up to his personal potential.

Keep on keepin' on! You're awesome :)

Michelle said...

I LOVED this post Suz! Adorably said. YOU should write a book. ;)

Aubrey said...

All I have to say to this post is AMEN!

Is that the Rachel from the 5 questions blog?

Rebekah said...

I LOVE that quote!

~Emily~ said...

A.M.E.N. SISTA! ;) Oh heck, until we met that guy, it had been a WHILE since someone had single-handedly made me feel like SPOONING MY EYES OUT!! Thankfully we had a small support group. . .

Amanda said...

amen. i was in your shoes just 4 years ago. i had just turned 27, and the year before I was a bridesmaid 11 times. 11. Yes that's right. I have alot of close girlfriends, and I was a professional at that point. I have been a bridesmaid/maid-of-honor 16 times in my 29 years. Anyhow, I used to scoff when young married people would give single-me any dating advice, etc. But, I do know that keeping true to yourself and holding out for what/who you deserve is the only way to truly find the love of your life. My friends coerced me into signing up on eHarmony (something I swore I'd never do) and wham-o within a week I met Matt, and within a month we were engaged and 4 months later married. Anyway...I can't wait to blog-stalk you some more and see what becomes of this situation. I love reading your blog. You are very inspiring. I found you through Keenan's 5 questions. Thanks for your comment on my 5 answers. :0)