Just an ordinary girl...living in an extraordinary world!

Friday, August 20, 2010

Patient Conversations

You know those conversations your hair dresser has with you that usually go something like this...
So, are you married?
Do you have kids?

We all know those questions right?
Well, a lot and I mean A LOT like to have those conversations with there dental assistant.
It usually doesn't bother me at all...because I am asked so frequently.
I just put on a smile and answer.
and sometimes the conversation goes a little bit differently, like this morning.

patient: how old are you?
Me: 29
patient: So, are you married?
Me: Actually I'm not (smiling)
patient: Why not?
Me: Um..just hasn't been the right timing I guess
(when really in my head I'm thinking...lady, you think I have a CHOICE in this?)
patient: Well, your so pretty! Do you date?
Me: Here and there...but I have a really active social life. I hardly ever am just sitting at home.
patient: Oh so you go to a singles ward.
Me: No, I went to one for a few years but it just isn't for everyone. I'm actually an advisor in the young women's.
Patient: Well dear, I just don't know how you'll ever get married then.
Me: (awkwardly laughing...)

Seriously, Is that what people think? Because I don't go to a singles ward there is no hope for me?
I don't think so...I hope not at least...:)
Do I have something on my forehead that says feel sorry for me?
Because I sure don't feel sorry for me. I live a fun exciting life.
This seriously made me laugh so hard. I think I'll go drink a diet coke now. ha!

3 comments:

~Emily~ said...

Haha, wow, some people can be SO naive, huh! Of all the boyfriends I've ever had, none of them have EVER been in the same ward as me. . . & honestly that could make things super awkward if the relationship went sour. Anyway, you already know all my thoughts. . Drink a Diet Coke for me too ;)

The Ingebretsen's... said...

What's interesting is that if you lived back east people would think you were too young to be worried about getting married! What is it in this Utah culture. Why do we push ourselves to get married so young. I think you are enjoying life, and keeping yourself open for the right guy. Some people are nuts!

wjmom said...

I can't believe how many times I've read this exact same post (on other people's blogs). I'm sorry.

At least she told you you were beautiful. She was right on that one!

*sigh*